Special Needs Assistant (Maternity Leave Cover) required for Athy College, Athy, Co. Kildare (32hpw) - KWSNA/12/JULY20
|Athy College, Athy, Co. Kildare|
|Salary: See Description for Details|
|Closing Date: 31/07/2020||Closing Time: 12:00|
|Recruitment start: 17/07/2020|
Kildare and Wicklow ETB invites applications from suitably qualified persons for Special Needs Assistant posts which may arise in the following schools for the academic year 2020/2021:
Athy College, Athy, Co.Kildare
32 hours per week (2020/2021 School Session).
- Garda Vetting is Mandatory
- Qualifications, Salary Scale and Conditions of Service in accordance with the regulations of the Department of Education and Skills.
- Appointment is to Kildare and Wicklow Educations and Training Board.
- Shortlisting of applicants may take place Canvassing will disqualify
- Late applications will not be considered.
- KWETB is positive to disability and an equal opportunities employer.
Applications for this post should be made online before the deadline of 12 noon on Friday 31st July 2020
If you have any queries, please email Avril / Laura at email@example.com
Dr Deirdre Keyes CHIEF EXECUTIVE
The SNA provides the necessary non-teaching services to pupils with assessed educational needs. The SNA acts in a care and support role that is non-teaching in nature and works under the guidance and supervision of the Principal and class teacher. The SNA’s primary function is to ensure the care and support needs of the students are met on a daily basis.
- Principal and school management team.
- Members of the teaching staff
- Other members of the support staff
- ETB Administrative Head Office
- External Support Agencies
The remuneration offered is the SNA scale as determined by the Department of Education & Skills.
Key Tasks (Circular 12/05 and 30/2014):
The duties involve tasks of a non-teaching nature such as:
1. Preparation and tidying up of classrooms.
2. Assisting pupils to board and alight from school buses. Where necessary travel as escort during school hours on school buses may be required.
3. Special assistance as necessary for pupils with particular difficulties e.g. helping special needs pupils with typing or writing or computers or other use of equipment.
4. Assistance with clothing, feeding, toileting and general hygiene and being mindful of health and safety needs of the pupil.
5. Assisting on out-of-school visits, walks, examinations and similar activities.
6. Assisting the teachers in the supervision of pupils during assembly, recreation and dispersal from the classroom for one reason or another.
7. Accompanying individuals or small groups who may have to be withdrawn temporarily from the classroom for one reason or another.
8. General assistance to the class teachers, under the direction of the Principal, with duties of a non-teaching nature. (Special needs assistants may not act as either substitute or temporary teachers. In no circumstances may they be left in sole charge of a class or group of children).
9. Participation with school development planning, where appropriate, and co-operation with any such changes with policies and practices arising from the school development process.
10. Engagement with parents of special needs pupils in both formal and informal structures as required and directed by school management.
11. Other duties appropriate to the grade as may be determined by the needs of the pupils and the school from time to time. Special Needs Assistants may be re-assigned to other work appropriate to the grade when special needs pupils are absent or when particular urgent work demands arise.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to build good relationships with pupils and colleagues/adults.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills.
- A passion for working with children and the ability to manage groups of pupils.
- Ability to manage difficult behaviour effectively.
- Flexibility and creativity.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Good record-keeping and report-writing skills, with ICT skills an advantage.
- Shows discretion in sensitive situations.
- The minimum standard of education for appointment to the post of SNA is FETAC Level 3 major qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications, OR a minimum of three grade Ds in the Junior Certificate, OR Equivalent. [Circular 0021/2011]
Already a member of our Talent Pool? Login here to Apply
Join our Talent Pool + submit your application